Saturday, January 9, 2010

Need Relationships

Andrew is away for the weekend.
Joshua and Angela are with my wonderful Mother-in-law for the weekend.
It has just been Jeremy and I.
We've had so much fun together.
It has been very difficult to enjoy special alone time with each other since I've felt so miserable.  
He is such a silly guy.
I'm amazed at how quiet it is around here.

In the car today I was listening to a sermon on the radio.
He talked about how God Made Us to be in a Relationship.
Relationship with God.
Relationship with people.

We need relationships...high definition relationships (as he called it).  Not just surface superficial relationships, but real-life heart to heart ones.
He also mentioned that we can make all kinds of excuses why we can't, or don't, have friends.  When it all comes down to it, God gives us daily opportunities to connect with people but it's up to us to take them.


This past year I have out of commission.  I have not had the energy to do anything but the bare necessities.  I have dropped the ball on maintaining my friendships.  I know that most friends are understanding and have extended grace.  But at the same time my heart grieves and part of me feels empty because I haven't been able to invest in people.

 God Made us to Need Relationships,  
                not just to get but to give...to need each other.

We find much joy when we love God and love others.

We are incomplete if we only love God. 

I can say I love others, but when I truly show it that's when my love becomes real.


Both of my Grandmas have been going through difficult times in their lives.  The one thing that I have noticed more and more is that when they feel needed they feel loved. 
They belong.  
They are valued.  
Their lives are worth something.

It has been sweet involving the kids into taking care of Grandmas.  The kids help Grandma, and Grandma helps the kids.  It is a beautiful thing.

Family is extra special because they are yours for a lifetime.  Unfortunately those are the most relationships that we take for granted.  If only we knew how to speak each others "love language" fluently!  That is the joy of discovering what they are and how we can "speak" it.


In regards to this past 6+ months...

Thank you to every one of you who have
said "hi",
or given a hug,
or written an encouraging word,
or spoken scripture,
or prayed for us,
or helped out physically watching our kids, meals, and anything else! 
Every little gesture of love was big BIG to us and is
VERY MUCH appreciated.
Don't ever underestimate kindness!
As a friend recently said (and lived out):
 Let your speech always be filled with grace, seasoned, as it were with salt, so that you may know how you should respond to each person.  (Col. 4:6)

I've been through some very low point these past few weeks.  I cannot imagine going through this without the firm foundation of knowing that God is the I AM
I have not been able to stand strong so I have fallen on the Grace of God and had to let Him carry me.
This one line from a song (Rich Mullins) that has been on my heart as I have cried out to God for help:
If I stand let me stand on the promise that You will pull me through,
And if I can't let me fall on the Grace that first brought me to You.

If I sing let me sing for the joy that has born in me these songs
But if I weep let it be as a man who is longing for his home.

I am thankful for the patient love of my husband and children.  One day here, or there, maybe a week or a month would be do-able...but over a YEAR?! (with no end in sight?!).  
They are real troopers to have to put up with me :) and also pitch in to help more than ever.

1 comment:

Josh's Pearl said...

Jenn,

What a long time since we last talked--maybe 14 years! How fun to look at your blog and catch up a little. I just recently started a blog for our family:www.rameyranch.blogspot.com.I'd love to catch up a bit more with you, but I'm sure you are busy with 3 little ones, just as I am.

Blessings!
Christina (Dickey) Ramey