Thursday, September 3, 2009

Two Marathons

Andrew has been training for a marathon.
It is coming up in two months. He has never run a marathon before but he has done many triathlons and even one 1/2 Iron Man.
He is naturally a persevering and competitive person so this has been a fun challenge for him. Every day he thinks about it, talks about it....it consumes him. The way he eats, sleeps and works is effected by it. It has been a great goal for him to pursue.
He told me that much of completing the marathon is mental preparation. He has a rigorous training schedule that he is following also.
The other day as I was thinking about his marathon it struck me that I have my own marathon that I am training for. Sometime in the next couple months I am expecting to have to go through major surgery. I don't know all the details yet (just like Andrew is still learning the course and where the energy drinks will be handed out) I too am still in the beginning stages. There are things that I might have to face that will be difficult. I might have to shave my head. my body might respond badly to the med's they put me on (that happened with both my cesarean's). I might have worse headaches for a while as the stitches heal and the bones fuse back together and the brain returns to it's normal position. I might be in utter exhaustion for a while, depressed, frustrated that I can't function and love my family well.
But that is all part of the marathon.
The most wonderful part is the loving acts of those around us. We appreciate every word of encouragement, every prayer, every hug, every friendship. God uses you in ways you do not know. Just knowing that people are thinking about us gives us strength that we are not in this alone. This is what God had in mind when He created the Body of Christ. Working together to glorify God and love one another.
Thank you all for standing on the sidelines holding up your posters cheering us on. Those loud cow bells make a difference. Even when the runner is in complete pain and lack of energy when they hear the sound of cheering they always rise up with new strength and endurance to make it a little bit farther.

2 comments:

Michelle Krueger said...

Jenn- Please let us know when the surgery will be..... we are here to help in ANY way. -Michelle

Sarah A. said...

God bless you. This post touched my heart. Praying for your "training" and the "event."