Friday, December 2, 2011

One Month later

It has been a month.
So much progress.
I really don't like putting pictures of myself on here but I thought I should give you a picture that shows how much things have improved:

 Successful comb-over
Funny story:
One of the neighborhood kids saw me with my comb-over and exclaimed, "your hair grew back!"
:)

Here's the incision now, still crusty but slowly disappearing.   It's not painful.  The hair shaved is beginning to grow.  The portion of skin/muscle between the incision and my eye was VERY tender & swollen but is now just tender.


How's this for comparison: 
 WOW!
Do you see where they stapled onto my ear?!  
That is still sore.


The Bell's Palsy is improving.  My last post I mentioned that I no longer had to gauze shut my eye.  But at that point my eyes were still extremely sore and I had to constantly shut them or keep my eyes down.
NOW I can actually look at people when they talk to me.  :)   The muscles behind the eyes are not as sore, at least in the morning (by evening they still get very achy).  I can see because I don't have to use eye "goo" quite so much.  I can do things!  I can watch TV and be on the computer for longer times.
The other facial muscles on my right side are half working, enough to eat and drink without constantly spewing food out of my mouth! :)

Mentally my brain is back on the right track...not the slow track anymore.  That would make the kids laugh sometimes when it took me longer than it should to do something, or when I just couldn't understand what they were saying!

Every day I walk to pick Jeremy up from school.  It's a mile round trip.  I look forward to getting out of the house, the fresh air and the gentle exercise.

It amazes me the little things that I enjoy since much of every day is the same or has been painful.  Holding onto those little smile moments are what have kept me sane.

Like sitting at the window watching the wind toss the trees around.

Eating a treat of some kind that a friend had brought over.

Chai Tea, cozy and warm.

Walking into the backyard when the sun is shining it's warmth into the chilly air.



I have a feeling that being back to "normal" is just around the corner. 

1 comment:

Victoria Haney said...

Oh gosh Jenn ever since you lead the Sunday school class for us years ago to this very day and every time I read what you post you are such an amazing example of strength and courage and especially hope through everything! I know it's not Thanksgiving anymore, but I am so thankful for you! I'm thankful for your family and your recovery and your journey even on the days when it reminds me to not feel so sorry for myself or something. You were such a good friend at CBC and I felt like you were a woman of God who I could come to and talk to and feel comfortable around and I just wish I were there now to help you in some way.