Saturday, July 17, 2010

Moved in!

We're in our house 
and it's beginning to feel like home.

I can't tell you how great it is to be in a neighborhood again!  I've dearly missed walking outside on sidewalks, sitting on the front porch, sending kids outside to get dirty! 

 The nice thing about no grass is that the kids are free to dig and play in the dirt!

I'm excited about the neighborhood we live in.  The first impulse most people would have living here would be fear.  The dangers of living in an area plagued with drugs, poverty, prostitution and desperation are all too real.  
Although as a child, I grew up in this kind of environment, God helped me to see more than just the actions.  I saw the frustration of real people trapped in these cycles.  The sadness, the despair, the hopelessness, the imprisonment.  As a child I would leave aluminum cans with verses taped to the top of them for the constant homeless that would camp outside my house to pick up.  I didn't know how I could show God's love, being a child, but my heart ached for them.  Being back in this area my heart still aches for them to know the freeing love of God, His forgiveness and the hope we have in Him.

...things we're thinking on...
What does it mean to love our neighbor as our self?  God places this command next to loving Him.  How can I do this practically?  Do my neighbors (not just hypothetical, but actual neighbors) really see my love for God played out in how I love them?

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love your "eyes" Jenn. They match Jesus. I felt the same way in our neighborhood in Cedar Rapids. I cried when I had to leave my neighbors. We loved living there. It was a rougher urban neighborhood too. Enjoy being used by the Lord in their lives. Glad you get to be in a house again! Praising with you.

Amy

candice said...

Jenn! I am so happy for you! The house looks great and I know you are right where the Lord wants you to be. YAY for mud and dirt to play in!
I love your post. I feel so many of the same things and am not sure what it all means for our family- something you know we've been struggling with for awhile now! Hopefully we can come by and hang out sometime soon... :-)