Thursday, May 20, 2010

Acupuncture & Food

Sorry I've been so quiet.
It's hard posting anything when there's nothing "good" to post about.


In regards to fighting these headaches, the latest two things that I have been trying are:

1. Acupuncture. 
I had the last of three sessions this morning.  I thought acupuncture was supposed to be relaxing...I guess I had the wrong impression!  Boy, oh boy, is it painful.  Although my pain tolerance could be low being in pain all the time, for such a long duration.  Or maybe the location of the pins being on the face it's more painful than other areas...he put a few on my arms and hands and those didn't hurt as bad.
This morning's session was extra painful and the floodgates opened up.  I couldn't stop the tears from falling and the worse part was that because I had pins (27 of them) poking out all over I couldn't move to blow my nose or wipe my tears.  I couldn't tell what was blood or tears dripping down my ear...when the time was all finished, the gal who took the pins out said it was both.  :)

2. Food.

Last month I took a blood test to see what foods I am sensitive to (maybe food, even "good food", is causing irritation in my system).

I have been deprived of many of my regular foods for the past 13 days.

Below are the list of things I cannot eat. 
 I put in bold the foods that are making meals difficult:

All dairy 
Fructose that has been added to any product
cinnamon
basil
vanilla
lime
orange
ginger
celery
cauliflower
spinach
string bean (sweet peas & peas are okay)
eggplant
squash (yellow and zucchini)
almond
mustard
peanut
soybean (any soy product: soybean oil...in most breads, dairy substitutes, salad dressings, some sauces, snacks..even my face wash and lotion!)
Lamb
turkey
Beef
codfish
crab
halibut
salmon sole
tuna
Brewers Yeast
carob
cocoa
cottonseed (an oil in many breads, chips and cracker products)
coffee (this was easy to give up physically but I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the aroma & ambiance of coffee.  It's more the warmth and coziness I miss than the drink itself)

It is surprising how many of these ingredients  slide sneakily into food.  The first couple of days on this food deprivation diet  :)  I was super hungry all the time because I couldn't find much that didn't have these ingredients in them - besides boring 'ol fresh salad (oil & vinegar dressing) and chicken.   I like fresh veggies but NOT as my every meal.
One food that is hidden in many things is soy.   It is driving me crazy how much it's tampering with my choices!!

It is getting easier finding things to eat.  
Eating just isn't as fun anymore.  
Food, and making meals, was one of the few things I've been able to enjoy these days, now even that has been taken away.   I know, I know I sound like a whiner.   I don't mean for it to sound like that!

Despite all this I am continually reminding myself to be grateful. To keep perspective.  Although there is a lot to be frustrated about there is also a LOT to be thankful about.

2 comments:

Amy Ladd said...

Aw, Jenn - I've been thinking about you, it's good to see a new post. I totally understand not wanting to post when there's really nothing "good" to post about. You are a trooper - I can't imagine going through acupuncture, especially on the face! Praying for you as you continue to go through so many challenges.

Anonymous said...

I love you my dear sweet friend and am praying for God to just flip that little switch in your head that turns those headaches off. The thought of you having these pains saddens my heart, but knowing you and having you as my friend lifts my heart right back up and helps it to smile. In the midst of your frustration and not so good days God's light continues to shine so brightly and then some through you as does your courage and strength. Love you!