Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thai me up

Sorry I haven't posted in a while.
I start to write then...delete, not knowing how to put into words the depth of discouragement I have felt.
The months have been up and down.

One of the highlights has been
Thai Food Night.

Andrew and I love cooking together.
It's fun and romantic.

We decided to let the kids each pick out their own Thai recipe.
Then we drove down to our local Asian Market.
What an experience!  
The produce was piled in large heaps along the wall, the aisles were lined with jars and cans with unusual wrappings.  Half of them I could identify, the other half was just guess work.  It was good exposing the kids to such a different experience than what they're used to.  It sure brings understanding and compassion for others. 

Once we were back home,

one-at-a-time we had a kid come into the kitchen to prepare and cook their dish.

They learned to read and follow directions...
to handle a knife properly...
and to maintain good sanitary habits.
Then, the dish was taste-tested and enjoyed!!

...or not.
Joshua loves shrimp.  He got to learn how to de-vein them:


Beautiful and yummy.

Jeremy loved seeing his recipe idea go from paper, to store, to cooking to ...eating!



Yes, I know I'm not in any of the pictures!!  That's because my main job was to wash, clean, wipe down, clean, sweep, wash, and of course...eat!

3 comments:

Betty Smith said...

Great family day.

Kira said...

I didn't know you had a blog! How cool!
Love the picture of Jeremy, "enjoying" his dinner. That kid is funny. Sophia still talks about him. And I'm so impressed with your family cooking! You can come cook for us any time.
It was such a treat, seeing you last week and getting to spend time with your family.

Laurie said...

It's good to 'hear' from you! I check in every so often to see if you've posted and was glad to see this one. Fun and delish! I love Thai food. So sorry you are still not well and feeling discouraged. I know it seems like the longest journey. Praying...